University Committee on Research
The University Committee on Research (UOC) is an advisory body charged with advising the Executive Board on operational and strategic issues relating to research conducted at the University of Amsterdam. Visit the staff website for more information about the Committee's members and recommendations (staff login required).
Research activities at each faculty are organised within research institutes, each headed by a research director. The research director is responsible for the quality and relevance of the research and for the Institute’s strategic direction.
The quality of the institutes' research is assessed by independent review committees every six years. Read more about how research assessments are conducted.
Research centres are collaborative, and often interdisciplinary, initiatives on the part of researchers and research institutes that have been set up around a specific research theme.
National research schools bring together research institute from multiple universities. These schools provide high-quality and highly rated PhD programmes. The UvA participates in a large number of national research schools and is the lead organisation in the research schools listed below:
- The Dutch Postgraduate School for Art History (OSK) is a national organisation that connects universities, museums and other institutions. Its aim is to promote specialised research in the field of art and architectural history through training and events for members.
- The Holland Research School of Molecular Chemistry focuses on the physical, chemical and biological properties of small to moderately sized molecules in relation to their electronic and spatial structures.
- The Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics (LOT) organises training for graduate students in linguistics in the Netherlands. Member institutes conduct research in all major areas of linguistics.
- The Netherlands Institute for Cultural Analysis (NICA) is the Dutch national research school in cultural analysis, studies and theory. NICA offers graduate courses for Research Master's and PhD students, and serves as a professional network for affiliated scholars.
- The Netherlands Research school for Media Studies (RMeS) is a national network of academic experts in media research. It provides education in media studies to PhD candidates and Research Master's students and provides a platform for academics and graduate students to build academic networks and coalitions and exchange expertise.
Dutch institutes abroad
Dutch Scientific Institutes Abroad (NWIB) is a network of institutes offering courses for students and facilities for academic staff and students doing temporary research abroad. The UvA manages the institutes in Athens and Saint Petersburg:
The Netherlands Institute in Athens
The Netherlands Institute in Athens (NIA) serves as an academic and cultural centre, and coordinates the collaboration between Dutch and Greek academic and cultural organisations.
It offers Dutch academics and students the opportunity to carry out research in Greece, and provides courses and guest accommodation for students and researchers. The NIA helps to raise the profile of Dutch academic research and awareness of opportunities for studying at Dutch partner universities.
The Netherlands Institute in Saint Petersburg
The Netherlands Institute in Saint Petersburg (NIP) focuses on Slavic and Russian Studies, Dutch Studies, and Art/General History.
The NIP provides academic courses that are part of study programmes offered at Dutch universities, and facilitates research carried out by the participating universities. It also offers grants and internships and supervises thesis research, individual study programmes and student travel. The institute helps promote Dutch culture and Dutch-Russian academic collaboration.
Other Dutch Scientific Institutes Abroad include: