What will you learn in this minor?
You will acquire an advanced analytical framework which enables you to analyse complex economic processes involving risk from a quantitative perspective. Quantitative risk modelling, statistical and empirical evaluation, and optimisation are at the core of this minor programme. This minor programme enables you to develop skills to deal with complex and risky economic problems.
The 60 EC minor in combination with a BSc in Econometrics, Mathematics, Physics, Informatics and Computer Sciences or an equivalent quantitative BSc programme, gives you access to the Master’s programme Actuarial Science and Mathematical Finance.
The minor can be taken as a 30 or a 60 EC programme. For both options you have follow 2 compulsory courses. You supplement these courses with either 18 EC or 48 EC in restricted-choice electives.
Compulsory: Life Insurance Mathematics???studyprogramme .period??? 16
Compulsory: Probability Theory and Statistics 3*???studyprogramme .period??? 26
Restricted-choice elective: Mathematical and Empirical Finance???studyprogramme .period??? 16
Restricted-choice elective: Statistical Learning???studyprogramme .period??? 36
Restricted-choice elective: Econometrics 1???studyprogramme .period??? 46
Restricted-choice elective: Financial Accounting in Life Insurance???studyprogramme .period??? 46
Restricted-choice elective: Research Seminar Actuarial Science and Mathematical Finance???studyprogramme .period??? 46
Restricted-choice elective: Econometrics 2???studyprogramme .period??? 56
Restricted-choice elective: Risk Theory???studyprogramme .period??? 56
Restricted-choice elective: Stochastic Models in Life Insurance???studyprogramme .period??? 56
* If you have already taken this course or an equivalent, you may substitute it with one of the restricted-choice electives in the 30 EC programme. Contact the Education Desk to find a substitute in the 60 EC programme.
- This minor is only open for students with sufficient background in statistics and mathematics. It is intended for Bachelor students from a research or technical university studying in a quantitative field (e.g. Econometrics, Mathematics, Physics, Information Science).
- You need to have successfully completed your first year (60 EC).
- No prior knowledge in Economics is required.
- The 30 EC minor is not open to students of UvA Economics and Business. The 60 EC minor is open for students of UvA Economics and Business.
Application and Admission
Unfortunately, this minor is at capacity and we will no longer accept applications.
What do you need to apply?
- a short motivation to be copied in the application form.
- Sign up as an elective student (bijvak student) for the Bachelor's programme in Econometrics in Studielink before 8 May. Important: make sure that your start date is 1 September 2022. You will not be able to sign up for the minor without enrolment.
- a signed and stamped transcript of your study results so far.
More info and contact
For more general information about taking a minor, visit the student website about minors at UvA Economics and Business. Or you can contact the Education Desk.