Online open day
Do you want to know more about International Development Studies? You can visit our online open day page any time to delve into this study programme. Watch videos, talk to students and deepen your knowledge. Or sign up for an online event or open day.
International Development Studies is a one-year English-language Master's programme, which welcomes approximately 60 students per year, both Dutch and international students. It engages with development through a multi-disciplinary lens, meaning that development is not taught from a particular discipline, but is seen as being best understood through different disciplinary approaches.
Most staff members carry out their research within the Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research, building upon a long tradition of research through its extensive global network of both Southern and Northern partners in development.
Our students find interesting and challenging work after graduating in a range of sectors. These include, but are not limited to:
- Non-governmental organizations such as Food First Coalition, War Child or the Red Cross
- Government ministries, embassies, and other agencies
- Scientific organisations such as the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)
- Academic and research institutes including the University of Amsterdam and the Royal Tropical Institute (KIT)
- Private sector consultancy in banks, law firms, or consultancy firms
- Knowledge sharing and journalism such as the Broker
Is International Development Studies for you?
The programme welcomes students who are interested in:
- history and theories of development;
- the multi-scalar context of development processes and issues which recognizes the links between the global, national, urban and local levels;
- innovative and research-based teaching to familiarize students with the changing research context and emerging issues of development.